The name of Montignies-lez-Lens finds its origin in the Gallo-Roman words Lindso and Montaniacus

It is modified over the centuries, the name was:

  • in 1017 Montinium
  • in 1086 Montiniacus
  • in 1090 Montiniacum
  • in 1550 Montigni or Montigny
  • in 1700 Montigny les Lens
  • in 1815 Montigny lez Lens
  • and finally in 1845 Montignies lez Lens which remained the official name.

the patois name is: Montegny en hasnon as it is written on the seal of the court of aldermen before 1792,